Social Security Benefits

Click Here for Information on Veterans Benefits


Our commitment of service to families includes Social Security Benefit coordination. Rogers Funeral Homes will submit a Statement of Death directly to the Social Security Administration. The following information is provided by the Social Security Administration. We hope it will be helpful to you.

Social Security survivors benefits help ease the financial burden that follows a worker's death. Almost all children under age 18 will get monthly benefits if a working parent dies. Other family members may also be eligible for benefits. Anyone who has worked and paid Social Security (FICA) taxes has been earning survivors benefits for his or her family. The amount of work needed to pay survivors benefits depends on the worker's age at the time of death. It may be as little as 1 ½ years for a young worker. No one needs more than 10 years.

Here is a list of family members who usually can get benefits: widows and widowers age 60 or older; widows and widowers at any age if caring for the deceased's child(ren) who are under age 16 or disabled; divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased 10 years or more; widows, widowers, divorced wives, and divorced husbands age 50 or older, if they are disabled; children up to age 18; children age 18 - 19, if they attend elementary school or high school full time; children over age 18, if they became disabled before age 22; or the deceased worker's parents age 62 or older, if they were being supported by the worker.

In addition to the monthly benefits for family members, a one-time payment of $255 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the worker at the time of death. If there is no spouse, it can be paid to a child or children who are eligible for the benefits. This payment cannot be made if there is not an eligible spouse or child.


You can apply for benefits by telephone or by going to any Social Security office. The documents listed in the following section may be required for the application process. Please contact Social Security Administration concerning any document you do not have in order to expedite your services.

*Beneficiary’s Social Security Number
*Deceased Worker’s Social Security Number
*Death Certificate
*Proof of Deceased Worker’s Earnings for Last Year (W-2 Forms or Self-employment Tax Return)
*Beneficiary’s Birth Certificate
*Marriage Certificate (Widow, Widower, or Divorcee)
*Divorce Decree (only if applying for benefits)
*Child or Children’s Birth Certificates (if applying for children's benefits)
*Child or Children’s Social Security (if applying for children's benefits)
*Checking or Savings Account information (direct deposit only)

Only original documents or certified copies by issuing offices will be accepted by Social Security Administration. The documents can be mailed or brought in to the office. Social Security Administration will make photocopies and return the original or certified copied documents.

You may contact the Social Security Office to find out what benefits are available for your individual circumstances, to change records, and to stop automatic deposits. For the local Social Security office nearest you,

Click Here

The national phone number is 1-800-772-1213. For more information, write or visit any Social Security office, or phone the toll-free number. Since the funeral director files Form SSA-721, which informs Social Security of a death, you do not need to order a certified copy of the death certificate to send to your Social Security Administration office.

Social Security

Click Here for Information on Veterans Benefits